- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar-free maple-flavored syrup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 can (15 ounces) pork and beans (remove any pork and discard)
- 1 can (16 ounces) baked beans
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- Cooking spray
- 4 slices turkey bacon
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, syrup, dry mustard, pepper, and vinegar. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil 1 minute to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and set aside. In a large bowl, combine all beans and onion. Coat a 4-quart casserole with cooking spray and spoon in bean mixture. Pour brown sugar mixture over beans and bake, covered, for 35 minutes. While beans are baking, cook bacon in skillet or microwave, drain well, and crumble. Stir beans, sprinkle bacon on top, and bake uncovered 25 minutes more.
Yield: 9 cups. Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 130 calories, Carbohydrates: 27 g, Protein: 6 g, Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 418 mg, Fiber: 6 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 starch. Carbohydrate choices: 2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.