- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) reduced-fat, low-sodium cream of mushroom soup concentrate
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- Vegetable cooking spray
Toast sesame seeds and almonds in a skillet just until slightly browned. Set aside. Cook spinach on the stove or in the microwave according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain spinach thoroughly by placing it in a colander and pressing it with a large spoon. In a large bowl, toss spinach with sesame seeds, almonds, pepper, soup, sour cream, and water chestnuts. Spray a 1 1/2-quart casserole with cooking spray and spoon in spinach mixture. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings. Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 95 calories, Carbohydrates: 11 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 207 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 vegetable, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Angie Sharp, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist at the International Diabetes Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.