- 2 pounds Granny Smith or any tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped (about 6 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup low-calorie apple juice cocktail or cider
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Combine apples and apple juice cocktail in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes or until apples are very tender.
Purée apple mixture in batches in blender, returning blended apple mixture to saucepan after each batch.* (Or use hand-held immersion blender.)
Add brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves to apple mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer 25 minutes or until thickened, stirring and scraping up bottom and sides of saucepan frequently. Cool completely.
Store in airtight container in refrigerator up to 1 month.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with mini rice cakes, apple slices, and/or crackers.
Yield: 2 cups (about 16 servings).
Serving size: 2 tablespoons.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 54 calories, Carbohydrates: 14 g, Protein: 0 g, Fat: 0 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 3 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 Fruit.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.