- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen soy protein ground burger, thawed (such as Boca Ground Burger)
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 7 eight-inch flour tortillas
- 4 ounces pepper jack cheese, finely shredded
- 3 1/2 cups finely chopped lettuce
- 3 large Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 5 green onions, chopped
Combine ground burger and salsa in a large nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat for 5–6 minutes, or until heated through. Warm refried beans in a small pan over medium heat. Spread one side of each tortilla with refried beans. Sprinkle lightly with cheese and top with ground burger mixture, lettuce, tomato, and onion. Fold tortilla in half, cut in half, and serve while warm.
Yield: 7 whole tacos.
Serving size: 1/2 taco.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 209 calories, Carbohydrates: 27 g, Protein: 14 g, Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Sodium: 550 mg, Fiber: 7 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.