- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen crowder peas, thawed (frozen black-eyed peas can also be used)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons sodium-free powdered instant beef bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup diced ham (approximately 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Place all ingredients in a large pan and stir to mix well. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 40 minutes, or until peas are tender; stir occasionally. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Yield: 4 cups.
Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 126 calories, Carbohydrates: 16 g, Protein: 11 g, Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 16 mg, Sodium: 24 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
Tami Ross is a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.