- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large celery stalks, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) whole clams, drained, with liquid reserved
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until tender. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, liquid from clams, red pepper flakes to taste, oregano, and basil. Cover and simmer over low-medium heat for 50 minutes, or until tomatoes turn a deeper red and the sauce thickens; stir periodically to prevent sticking. Stir in clams and simmer 10 minutes more. Serve over rice or pasta. Sauce reheats well.
Yield: 6 cups. Serving size: 3/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 166 calories, Carbohydrates: 15 g, Protein: 13 g, Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 440 mg, Sodium: 3 g, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 3 vegetables, 1 1/2 very lean meat, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.