- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons reduced-calorie margarine
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1 chopped green onion
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups 50% less sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots, unthawed (alternatively, unthawed frozen mixed vegetables can be used)
Coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray; add margarine, and melt over medium heat. Add egg substitute and stir-fry until egg is set (like scrambled egg). Stir in onion, rice, broth, and peas and carrots; stir to mix. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir, and cover. Let stand 7 minutes, fluff with a fork, and serve.
Yield: 3 1/2 cups.
Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 98 calories, Carbohydrates: 16 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 163 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.