- 2 medium red bell peppers (approximately 2 1/2–3 inches in diameter)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup great northern beans (canned or fully cooked), rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Preheat broiler. Remove stem, core, and inner white ribs from peppers. Cut into large chunks and place on broiler-safe pan. Broil about 4–5 minutes on one side only until flesh softens and a few browned spots appear. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until combined. Mixture will be thick but spreadable. Use as an appetizer spread or as a sandwich spread.
Yield: 1 cup. Serving size: 2 tablespoons.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 44, Carbohydrates: 9 g, Protein: 2 g, Fat: 0 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 10 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1/2 carbohydrate. Carbohydrate choices: 1/2.
Kathleen Stanley is a Diabetes Educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky. She is coauthor of Quick & Easy Diabetic Recipes for One, published by the American Diabetes Association in 2007.