- 2 large bunches kale (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons light butter-and-oil spread
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free (skim) milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Remove stems from kale; discard. Roughly chop leaves. Bring large saucepan of water to a boil. Add kale; cook 5 minutes. Drain.
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk until well blended. Whisk constantly over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or until sauce boils and is thickened, scraping up browned bits occasionally. Whisk in 1/2 cup cheese, garlic, salt, and nutmeg.
Remove saucepan from heat. Fold in kale until combined. Sprinkle with additional cheese, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings. Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 90, Carbohydrates: 10 g, Protein: 7 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Sodium: 222 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1/2 Fat, 2 Vegetable.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.