- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 dashes of hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups chopped zucchini (approximately 9 ounces)
- 1/3 cup finely shredded, reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 slices turkey bacon, cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 1/4 cup finely diced tomato
Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray, add olive oil, and warm over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 2–3 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Stir in hot pepper sauce. Add corn and zucchini and cook until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes; stir frequently. Spoon vegetables into a serving dish and sprinkle evenly with cheese, bacon, and tomato. Allow to stand 4–5 minutes for cheese to melt.
Yield: 3 1/2 cups.
Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 108 calories, Carbohydrates: 13 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 147 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1/2 starch, 1 nonstarchy vegetable, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.