- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen Italian-mix vegetables
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 pound baby carrots, halved
- 1 medium zucchini, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons instant reduced-sodium chicken broth granules
- 2 tablespoons cooking wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 3-quart casserole or Dutch oven with cooking spray. Spread frozen vegetables in an even layer in the casserole. Follow with layers of green pepper strips, baby carrots, zucchini slices, tomato pieces, and celery. Melt margarine in skillet. Add onion and garlic, sautéing until tender. Stir in broth granules, wine, salt, and pepper. Pour skillet mixture over vegetables. Cover casserole and bake for approximately 1 hour until vegetables are crisp-tender.
Yield: 10–12 servings.
Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 88 calories, Carbohydrates: 15 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 227 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Angie Sharp, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist at the International Diabetes Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.