- 3 cups diced peeled butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups diced peeled firm Gala apple
- 3 tablespoons dried sweetened cranberries
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs*
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
Steam squash in steamer basket over boiling water 5 minutes or until tender.
Combine butternut squash, apple, cranberries, walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, if desired, and pepper in large bowl; gently mix. Pour in orange juice. Spoon evenly into prepared pie plate.
Cover and bake 20 minutes or until squash and apple are fork-tender.
Meanwhile, combine bread crumbs and butter in small bowl; mix well. Sprinkle evenly over apple mixture. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
*Note. To make fresh bread crumbs, tear 1 slice bread into pieces; process in food processor until coarse crumbs form.
Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 150 calories, Carbohydrates: 26 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Sodium: 70 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 bread/starch, 1/2 fat, 1 fruit.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.