- 2/3 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2 cups sliced asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Prepare bulgur according to package directions, omitting any salt or fat. Drain well.
Steam asparagus in steamer basket over boiling water 3 to 4 minutes or until bright green and crisp-tender. Cool under cold running water, drain well, and blot with paper towels.
Combine bulgur, asparagus, peas, parsley, and mint in large bowl. Whisk lemon juice, orange juice, oil, salt, and pepper in small bowl. Pour over bulgur mixture; toss gently.
Note: Bulgur is a whole grain that’s high in fiber and protein. It’s also a good source of iron, magnesium, and B vitamins.
Yield: 4 servings.
Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 148 calories, Carbohydrates: 25 g, Protein: 6 g, Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 98 mg, Fiber: 7 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 Bread/Starch, 1/2 Fat, 2 Vegetable.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.