- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) fat-free reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice or brown basmati rice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted*
Combine broth, rice, water, and salt in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Stir in cranberries and cinnamon, if desired; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with walnuts before serving.
*Note. To toast walnuts, spread in single layer on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 8–10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
Gluten-free variation. To make this dish gluten free, be sure to read ingredient labels carefully and purchase gluten-free vegetable broth.
Yield: 5 1/3-cup servings.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 172 calories, Carbohydrates: 29 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 162 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Carbohydrate choices: 2 1/2 bread/starch, 1 fat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.