- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 teaspoon Greek or Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
Heat large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add celery; cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes or until lightly glazed and brown in spots.
Add rice, chickpeas, garlic, if desired, spinach, Greek seasoning, broth, salt, if desired, pepper, and water. Stir to combine. Cover and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low and boil gently 12 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat; add lemon juice and feta and mix gently with large spoon.
Note: One cup of cooked chickpeas has 14 grams of protein and 12 grams of fiber.
Yield: 4 servings.
Serving size: about 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.