- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 10 minutes or until tender. Add barley, rice, and garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
Stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, about 45 to 50 minutes or until barley and rice are tender.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, mushrooms, peas, carrot, and oregano; cook and stir 5 to 6 minutes or until mushrooms are browned and bell pepper is tender.
Stir bell pepper mixture into rice mixture. Garnish with fresh oregano, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings.
Serving size: 1/8 of recipe.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Exchanges per serving: 2 Bread/Starch, 1 Fat, 1 Vegetable.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.