- 1 cup tap water
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped green onions (approximately 4 green onions)
- 1/2 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup finely diced tomato
- 1 cup peeled and diced cucumber
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
In a bowl, pour water over bulgur, stir, and let stand 1 hour (most of the water will be absorbed). Drain off any remaining water and discard.
In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and garlic. Drizzle over bulgur and mix with a fork. Stir in onions, garbanzo beans, carrot, tomato, cucumber, and parsley. Toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate at least 1–2 hours to allow flavors to blend. Toss before serving. Tastes great leftover.
Yield: 6 cups. Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 95 calories, Carbohydrates: 14 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 82 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
Tami Ross is a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.