- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 navel oranges, peeled
- 2 medium-size sweet onions (Vidalia), peeled
- 8 to 10 black olives, pitted, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
For the vinaigrette, combine all of the ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake vigorously.
For the salad, slice tomatoes, oranges, and onions into 1/4-inch slices. Arrange slices on a large platter. Sprinkle with chopped olives. Pour vinaigrette over the top of the salad and sprinkle with parsley.
Yield: 6 servings. Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 150 calories, Carbohydrates: 15 g, Protein: 2 g, Fat: 10 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 65 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Angie Sharp, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist at the International Diabetes Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.