- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 6 cups fresh spinach, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- Bottled light creamy Italian salad dressing
Combine tomatoes and hot water in a small bowl; let stand 15 minutes to soften. Meanwhile, combine cucumber, spinach, onion, and mushrooms; toss gently. Drain tomatoes and chop, add to spinach mixture and toss again. Arrange salad evenly on 6 salad plates. Drizzle 2 tablespoons dressing over each plate.
Yield: 9 cups. Serving size: 1 1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 78, Carbohydrates: 11 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 423 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Nancy Cooper, a Contributing Editor of Diabetes Self-Management. Nancy is a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist at the International Diabetes Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.