- 4 ounces Romaine hearts lettuce
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons low-fat, shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup light ranch-style salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Tear or chop lettuce (should yield approximately 4 cups) and place in a large salad bowl. Add cucumber, green pepper, radishes, green onions, tomatoes, and cheese. Toss well. In a small bowl, mix together salad dressing, chipotle peppers, and lime juice. Pour dressing over salad and toss again to combine.
Yield: 4 servings.
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 71 calories, Carbohydrates: 7 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 2 mg, Sodium: 255 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1/2.
Kathleen Stanley is a Diabetes Educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky. She is coauthor of Quick & Easy Diabetic Recipes for One, published by the American Diabetes Association in 2007.