- 1 cup soft wheat berries
- 4 cups water
- Pinch of salt, plus more to taste
- 1 large Gala or Fuji apple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 large stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2–1 cup chopped jicama, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions, green and white portions
- 1/2–1 teaspoon curry powder, to taste
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 8 ounces sliced, cooked chicken
- 7 walnut halves, toasted and chopped
- Head of lettuce
Place wheat berries, water, and pinch of salt in pressure cooker and secure lid. Bring to high pressure, lower heat, and cook for 35 minutes. Remove from heat and release pressure quickly by running cold water over the cooker. Drain wheat berries and set aside to cool.
Toss chopped apple with lemon juice and add to cooled wheat berries along with celery, jicama, parsley, and scallions. Mix curry powder and yogurt together for dressing. Add salt to taste. Mix dressing with wheat berries. Arrange a bed of lettuce on each plate, top with I cup wheat berry mixture, add chicken slices, and sprinkle with toasted nuts.
Yield: 6 servings. Serving size: 3/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 270 calories, Carbohydrates: 39 g, Protein: 11 g, Fat: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 17 mg, Sodium: 244 mg, Fiber: 8 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 starch, 1 vegetable. Carbohydrate choices: 2 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Rita Carey, a dietitian and diabetes educator at Yavapai Regional Medical Center in Prescott, Arizona. It is taken from the article “Prepare Whole Foods Fast! Using a Pressure Cooker.”