- 5 ounces soba
- 3/4 cup coarsely sliced fresh red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup coarsely sliced fresh green bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh red cabbage
- 1 cup peeled, matchstick-sliced fresh jicama
- 3/4 cup coarsely sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup matchstick-sliced unpeeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped, unsalted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add soba noodles, cover, and cook about 5 minutes until noodles are tender yet firm. Place noodles in strainer and rinse with cool water. In a large salad bowl, place sliced red pepper, green pepper, red cabbage, jicama, green onions, cucumber, and peanuts. Add cooled, drained noodles. In a small mixing bowl, whisk sesame oil, vinegar, minced garlic, soy sauce, and black pepper together. Pour dressing over salad and toss ingredients until they are well distributed. Chill for approximately 1 hour before serving.
Yield: 8 servings. Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 122 calories, Carbohydrates: 19 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 222 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
Sharon Palmer is a registered dietitian and freelance writer in Southern California.