- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 7 ounces extra-firm lite tofu, crumbled and frozen
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 light multigrain English muffins, split and toasted
- Lettuce, tomato, and red onion slices (optional)
- Cucumber spears (optional)
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cook and stir 10 minutes or until mushrooms have released most of their juices. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
Combine mushroom mixture, tofu, oats, walnuts, egg, salt, onion powder, and thyme in food processor or blender; process until combined. (Some tofu pieces may remain). Shape mixture into 6 (1/3-cup) patties.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in same skillet over medium-low heat. Working in batches, cook patties 5 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining oil and patties.
Serve burgers on English muffins with lettuce, tomato, and onion, if desired. Garnish with cucumber spears.
Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 254 calories, Carbohydrates: 37 g, Protein: 13 g, Fat: 10 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 31 mg, Sodium: 469 mg, Fiber: 9 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 1/2 bread/starch, 1 fat, 1 meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.