- 6 to 7 ounces uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 8 ounces broccoli florets
- 8 ounces mild Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt. Add broccoli during last 5 to 6 minutes of cooking. Drain well; cover and keep warm.
Meanwhile, heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Crumble sausage into skillet. Add onion; cook until sausage is brown, stirring to break up meat. Drain fat. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
Add sausage mixture, lemon peel, salt, and pepper to pasta mixture; toss until blended. Sprinkle Parmesan evenly over each serving.
Yield: 6 servings.
Serving size: 1 1/3 cups.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 208 calories, Carbohydrates: 26 g, Protein: 13 g, Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 26 mg, Sodium: 425 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 Bread/Starch, 1 Fat, 1 Vegetable, 2 Meat Lean.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.