- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Combine all ingredients except oil in large bowl; mix well. Shape into 36 (1-inch) balls.
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs; cook 11 minutes or until no longer pink in center, turning frequently. Use fork and spoon for easy turning. Serve immediately or cool and freeze.*
*Note: To freeze, cool completely and place in gallon-size resealable food storage bag. Release any excess air from bag and seal. Freeze bag flat for easier storage and faster thawing. This will also allow you to remove as many meatballs as needed without them sticking together. To reheat, place meatballs in a 12×8-inch microwavable dish and cook on HIGH 20 to 30 seconds or until hot.
Serving suggestion: Top with a lower-sodium meatless marinara sauce.
Yield: 6 servings.
Serving size: 6 meatballs.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Exchanges per serving: 1/2 Fat, 1 Vegetable, 2 Meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.