- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried basil), more or less to taste
- 1/4 cup finely shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
Cook tortellini according to package directions and drain well. Meanwhile, heat tomatoes. Place tortellini in a microwave-safe serving dish. Top evenly with tomatoes. Sprinkle with basil, cheese, and crushed red pepper flakes. Microwave for 45–60 seconds on high, or until cheese melts.
Yield: 4 servings.
Serving size: 1/4 of recipe.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 238 calories, Carbohydrates: 35 g, Protein: 11 g, Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Sodium: 298 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 starch, 1 nonstarchy vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat. Carbohydrate choices: 2 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.