- 1 ounce (about 1/3 cup) sun-dried tomatoes (about 3/4 cup rehydrated)
- 1 can (19 ounces) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 6 pieces (7 1/2 inches each) wheat flatbread
- 12 ounces thinly sliced smoked turkey breast
- 18 asparagus spears, trimmed and lightly steamed
Rehydrate tomatoes by placing them in a bowl, pouring boiling water over them to cover, and letting stand for 20 minutes. Place tomatoes, beans, tahini, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons water, salt, cayenne pepper, cumin, and garlic in food processor and process until smooth. Thin with an additional tablespoon of water, if necessary. Chill at least 2 hours to allow flavors to blend. Warm flatbread according to package directions. Spread each piece of flatbread with 1/3 cup hummus and top with 2 ounces of turkey. Place three asparagus spears in the center of each, then wrap the bread around the asparagus. Serve on plate seam-side down.
Yield: 6 wraps.
Serving size: 1 wrap.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 536 calories, Carbohydrates: 66 g, Protein: 28 g, Fat: 18 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Sodium: 1,517 mg*, Fiber: 10 g
Exchanges per serving: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 4 1/2.
*This recipe may not be suitable for people who need to limit their sodium intake.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.