- 8 ounces lean ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 2/3 cups water, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free (skim) milk
- 1 1/3 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 2 ounces shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
Heat medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Coat skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add turkey. Cook, stirring to break up meat, until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels if necessary; set aside.
Add onion and bell pepper to skillet. Cook 4 minutes or until onion is translucent, stirring frequently. Add cooked turkey, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, 1/3 cup water, cumin, and ground red pepper. Cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Cover; set aside.
Bring remaining 1 1/3 cups water and salt, if desired, to a boil in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in milk and potatoes. (Do not whisk.) Spoon mashed potatoes evenly over turkey mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Place skillet over medium-low heat. Cover; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until cheese melts.
Yield: 6 servings. Serving size: 2/3 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 289, Carbohydrates: 47 g, Protein: 16 g, Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 31 mg, Sodium: 253 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 3 Bread/Starch, 1 Meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.