- 1 package (10 ounces) chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup cholesterol-free egg substitute
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 24 cooked large pasta shells
- 2 cans (141/2 ounces each) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13×9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine spinach, ricotta, and Parmesan cheeses, egg substitute, and seasonings in large bowl. Spoon into shells. Place shells in prepared pan. Top with tomatoes with juice and mozzarella cheese. Bake, covered, 20 minutes or until cheese melts.
Health Note: Recent studies have shown that garlic may play a role in the prevention of heart disease. Results indicate that a clove a day may lower levels of bad cholesterol (LDL), may help prevent the formation of blood clots that lead to heart attacks and strokes, and may aid in lowering high blood pressure levels.
Yield: 8 servings. Serving size: 3 stuffed shells.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 456 calories, Carbohydrates: 57 g, Protein: 38 g, Fat: 11 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 35 mg, Sodium: 803 mg, Fiber: 6 g
Exchanges per serving: 3 Bread/Starch, 2 Vegetable, 3 Meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.