- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (6 ounces) sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup no-salt-added pasta sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (3-ounce) cooked chicken sausage links, cut into pieces
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
Cut spaghetti squash lengthwise in half. Remove seeds. Place squash in 12×8-inch microwavable dish. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high 9 minutes or until squash separates easily into strands when tested with fork. Cut each squash half lengthwise in half; separate strands with fork.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper; cook and stir 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Stir tomatoes, pasta sauce, water, oregano, salt, if desired, and black pepper into skillet. Cover bring to a simmer; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Stir sausage pieces into sauce.
Divide squash evenly among 4 plates. Spoon sauce over squash; sprinkle with parsley.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 1 cup squash, 3/4 cup sauce, and 1 sausage per serving.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 284 calories, Carbohydrates: 23 g, Protein: 21 g, Fat: 12 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 73 mg, Sodium: 549 mg, Fiber: 7 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 bread/starch, 1 1/2 fat, 2 meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.