- 10 ounces fresh lump crabmeat
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white or sourdough bread crumbs, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup fat-free or reduced-fat mayonnaise, divided
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grained or spicy brown mustard, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Lemon wedges (optional)
Preheat oven to 200°F. Pick out and discard any shell or cartilage from crabmeat. Combine crabmeat, 3/4 cup bread crumbs, and green onions in medium bowl. Add 1/4 cup mayonnaise, egg white, 1 tablespoon mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce; mix well. Using 1/4 cup mixture per cake, shape into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) cakes. Roll crab cakes lightly in remaining 3/4 cup bread crumbs.
Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add 1 teaspoon oil. Add 4 crab cakes; cook 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Transfer to serving platter; keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and crab cakes.
For dipping sauce, combine remaining 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon mustard, and 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce in small bowl; mix well.
Serve crab cakes warm with dipping sauce and lemon wedges, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings.
Serving size: 1 crab cake with 1 1/2 teaspoons sauce.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 81 calories, Carbohydrates: 8 g, Protein: 7 g, Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 30 mg, Sodium: 376 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1/2 Bread/Starch, 1 Meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.