- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1/4 cup chunky salsa
- 1/4 cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
- 1/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped garlic
- Dash ground red pepper
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (optional)
Combine tomato, salsa, beans, corn, cilantro, garlic, and ground red pepper in 1-quart microwavable bowl. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until heated through; stir.
Microwave rice in separate 1-quart microwavable dish on high 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until heated through. Top with tomato mixture and cheese, if desired.
Variation: To make this vegetarian dish even more satisfying, add pinto beans.
Yield: 2 servings.
Serving size: 1/2 of total recipe.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 175 calories, Carbohydrates: 35 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 244 mg, Fiber: 5 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 Bread/Starch, 1/2 Vegetable.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.