- 1 pouch (5 ounces) hickory-smoked chunk light tuna (plain, water-packed tuna may also be used)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 whole wheat English muffins, split and lightly toasted
- 4 large tomato slices
- Coarse-ground black pepper
- 4 slices (1/2 ounce each) part-skim mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place tuna in a bowl and flake with a fork. Add green onion and mayonnaise; stir to mix well. Top each English muffin half with a slice of tomato and one-fourth of the tuna mixture. Sprinkle lightly with pepper and top with a slice of cheese. Warm in the oven until cheese melts, about 3–4 minutes. Tuna mixture may be made in advance and refrigerated until ready to make melts.
Yield: 4 servings.
Serving size: 1 melt.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 164 calories, Carbohydrates: 16 g, Protein: 16 g, Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Sodium: 380 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 2 lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.