- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup fat-free beef broth
- 1 medium onion (about 6 ounces), thinly sliced and separated into strips
- pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 7 ounces low-fat smoked sausage (such as Healthy Choice), sliced into bite-size pieces
- 5 whole wheat pita pocket halves (6 1/2–inch diameter)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon finely shredded, reduced-fat mild Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free salad dressing-style mayonnaise (such as fat-free Miracle Whip)
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
1/2 medium green bell
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add beef broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add onion, pepper, and mushrooms, cover, and continue cooking over medium-high heat until tender; stir periodically. If all the liquid evaporates, add 2–3 tablespoons of water to vegetables. Reduce heat to medium, add sliced smoked sausage, and cook uncovered, stirring periodically, until sausage is heated through and liquid evaporates.
Spoon about 1/2 cup meat filling into each pita pocket. Stand up filled pita pockets in a small baking dish. Press 1 tablespoon cheese over the filling in each pita pocket. Bake uncovered until cheese is melted, about 7–10 minutes.
Meanwhile, stir together salad dressing and mustard in a small bowl. Place a dollop on top of the cheese in each pita pocket and serve.
Yield: 5 servings. Serving size: 1 filled pita pocket.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 200, Carbohydrates: 29 g, Protein: 12 g, Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Sodium: 640 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.