- 1 loaf French bread, about 24 inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cooked shrimp, chilled
- Cajun remoulade:
- 4 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon Creole or Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 hard-boiled egg, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free Creole seasoning
Cut French bread crosswise into four pieces, each about 6 inches long, and split open each section. Prepare Cajun remoulade by mixing mayonnaise, mustard, relish, egg, onion, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, and Creole seasoning together in small mixing bowl. Chill remoulade while assembling sandwich. Place French bread sections on baking sheet and toast in a 375°F oven for 5 minutes. Bread should be crispy, but not browned. Remove from oven and fill each sandwich with 1/2 cup shredded lettuce, 1/4 of the tomato slices, 2 ounces (approximately 1/3 cup) shrimp, and 3 tablespoons Cajun remoulade. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 large sandwiches. Serving size: 1 sandwich.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 372, Carbohydrates: 56 g, Protein: 23 g, Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 899 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 4.
This recipe was developed by Sharon Palmer, a registered dietitian and freelance writer in Southern California.