- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine or low-sodium broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 ounces uncooked dry vermicelli, broken in thirds
- 10 ounces peeled fresh or frozen and thawed raw medium shrimp
- 2 ounces reduced-fat feta, crumbled (plain or basil and sun-dried tomato variety)
Combine tomato, parsley, capers, wine, lemon juice, oil, garlic, lemon peel, salt, and red pepper flakes in large bowl; set aside.
Cook pasta according to directions on package, omitting any salt or fat. After 6 minutes of cooking, add shrimp to pasta. Return to a boil and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until shrimp is pink and opaque. Drain well. Add to tomato mixture, and toss well.
Place shrimp mixture in pasta bowl or place equal amounts on each of four dinner plates. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with a quick sauté of fresh spinach and mixed greens with a light, creamy dressing.
Yield: 4 servings.
Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 323 calories, Carbohydrates: 35 g, Protein: 23 g, Fat: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 113 mg, Sodium: 646 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 Bread/Starch, 1 Vegetable, 3 Meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.