- 2 zucchini (about 8 inches long), cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 large purple onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices and separated into rings
- 4 ounces mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1/2 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1/2 cup bottled balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained
- Cooking spray
- 9 (2-ounce) French rolls
- 9 (3/4-ounce) slices smoked provolone cheese
Place zucchini slices, onion rings, mushroom slices, and quartered artichoke hearts into a bowl. Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette and toss to coat vegetables well. Let mixture stand at room temperature 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Gently toss in red peppers to coat with dressing. Drain vegetables and discard remaining dressing.
Preheat oven to 450°F. Spread out vegetables in a 9″ x 13″ pan coated with cooking spray. Roast vegetables for 15–20 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork; carefully stir halfway through cooking. Warm French rolls. Split rolls and place the bottoms on a baking sheet. Drain liquid off vegetables. Spoon about 1/2 cup vegetables on the bottom of each roll. Top each with a slice of provolone cheese and the other half of the roll. Return to the oven for 1–2 minutes, or until cheese melts.
Yield: 9 sandwiches. Serving size: 1 sandwich.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 282 calories, Carbohydrates: 36 g, Protein: 12 g, Fat: 10 g, Saturated Fat: 5 g, Sodium: 710 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 2 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.