- 2/3 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and pressed dry
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs*
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
Cook orzo according to package directions, omitting any salt. Drain.
Whisk milk, egg whites, salt, if desired, nutmeg, and pepper in large bowl until well blended. Stir in spinach and 2 tablespoons cheese. Add orzo; gently mix. Spoon evenly into prepared pie plate.
Combine bread crumbs and remaining 2 tablespoons cheese in small bowl. Stir in butter. Sprinkle evenly over spinach mixture.
Bake 20 minutes or until topping is golden brown and center is set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
*Note: To make fresh bread crumbs, tear 1 1/2 slices bread into pieces; process in food processor until coarse crumbs form.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 1/4 of total recipe.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 292, Carbohydrates: 42 g, Protein: 15 g, Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 13 mg, Sodium: 399 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 Bread/Starch, 1 Fat, 2 Vegetable, 1 Meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.