- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 ounces Canadian-style bacon (eight 1-ounce slices)
- 4 whole-grain hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 large, ripe tomato slices (about 1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup low-fat, cholesterol-free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash original seasoning blend
Spray a medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Over medium heat, cook bacon (about 3–4 slices at a time) on both sides until slightly browned (2–3 minutes total). Separate toasted hamburger buns. On one side, layer bacon, lettuce, and tomato. In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients. Spread 1 tablespoon of dressing on the other side of the bun, then join sides to complete the sandwiches.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 1 sandwich.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 233 calories, Carbohydrates: 24 g, Protein: 14 g, Fat: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 28 mg, Sodium: 911 mg
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat. Carbohydrate choices: 1 1/2.
Kathleen Stanley is a Diabetes Educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.