- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons corn oil
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined (for convenience, use frozen cooked shrimp that have been thawed)
- 1 bag (14 ounces) frozen broccoli florets
- 1 can (11 ounces) corn with red and green pepper, drained
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (look for low-salt or no-salt Cajun seasoning if you limit your sodium intake)
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- Hot rice (optional)
- 8 lemon wedges (optional)
Coat a cool, nonstick wok with cooking spray. Preheat wok, then add oil. When the oil is hot, add shrimp and cook until they turn pink. (If using precooked shrimp, add shrimp during the last minute of cooking).
Remove shrimp from the wok and set aside. Place frozen broccoli in the wok and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add corn with peppers, onion, hot pepper sauce, and Cajun seasoning. Cook 2 minutes more, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes and cook until hot and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Add cooked shrimp and heat 1 minute more, stirring frequently. Serve immediately (over hot rice and with a squeeze of lemon if desired).
Yield: 8 cups. Serving size: 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 239 calories, Carbohydrates: 23 g, Protein: 30 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 1,864 mg*, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 4 very lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 2 1/2.
*This recipe may not be suitable for people who need to limit their sodium intake.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.