- 1 pound ground round
- 1 tablespoon sodium-free beef bouillon granules
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen vegetable soup blend mixed vegetables, thawed
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 2 cups cooked (about 4 ounces dry) elbow macaroni
In a large pan, brown ground round and drain well. Meanwhile, dissolve bouillon granules in the warm water. Add bouillon, vegetables, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, black pepper, garlic powder, and lemon juice to meat; stir well to combine. Cover, bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender; stir frequently. Stir in cooked macaroni and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until heated through.
Yield: 9 cups.
Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 158 calories, Carbohydrates: 22 g, Protein: 13 g, Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 94 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 non-starchy vegetable, 1 1/2 very lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 1 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.