- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely minced
- 1/4 cup diced black olives (approximately 1 ounce)
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 12 hamburger buns
- 12 slices fat-free processed mozzarella cheese
In a large nonstick skillet, brown and drain ground turkey. Add onion, jalapeño pepper, black olives, mushrooms, tomato sauce, garlic powder, oregano, and basil. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes; stir frequently. Remove from heat and cool. (Meat filling may be served right away if desired; just increase cooking time from 10 minutes to 20 minutes).
Spread bottom of each bun with 1/3 cup cooled meat filling. Top with 1 slice cheese and other half of bun. Wrap sandwiches tightly in foil. Place in freezer bags and freeze.
When ready to serve, preheat oven to 350°F and place the foil-wrapped sandwiches on a baking sheet. Bake for 55–60 minutes, or until heated through.
Yield: 12 sandwiches.
Serving size: 1 sandwich.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 243 calories, Carbohydrates: 29 g, Protein: 16 g, Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 577 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 starch, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.