- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups diced (unpeeled) eggplant (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 whole what pitas, warmed and halved
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat balsamic vinaigrette
- 3 ounces crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, coat onions with cooking spray, and cook 2 minutes. Add eggplant, coat eggplant with cooking spray, and cook 4 to 6 minutes or until beginning to lightly brown, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes and cook 2 minutes or until tomatoes are just tender.
Remove from heat; add basil. Cover and let stand 3 minutes to absorb flavors. To serve, spoon equal amounts (about 1/3 cup) in each pita half and drizzle equal amounts (about 1 1/2 teaspoons) balsamic vinaigrette on top. Sprinkle with feta (about 1 1/2 tablespoons each).
Yield: 6 servings. Serving size: 1 pita half.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 162 calories, Carbohydrates: 25 g, Protein: 7 g, Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 4 mg, Sodium: 526 mg, Fiber: 5 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 Bread/Starch, 1/2 Fat, 1 Vegetable, 1 Meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.