- 1 box (8 ounces) linguini
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small zucchini (about 5 inches long), quartered and sliced into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and add linguini. Cook for 7–9 minutes, or until it is tender but firm. Drain and set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, coat a cool, nonstick wok with cooking spray. Preheat wok, then add oil. When the oil is hot, add chicken and cook, stirring constantly, for 4–5 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken from wok and set aside. Add onion to wok and cook 1–2 minutes, stirring constantly. Next add zucchini, mushrooms, garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring constantly for 3–4 minutes more. Add the drained linguini and cooked chicken to the mixture in the wok. Toss well. Turn down the heat and cook 3–4 minutes, stirring frequently, to allow the linguini to absorb the flavors. Toss well again, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and chopped tomato. Serve immediately.
Yield: 8 cups.
Serving size: 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 449 calories, Carbohydrates: 52 g, Protein: 40 g, Fat: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 653 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 very lean meat, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 4.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.