- 4 cooked chicken breasts (3 ounces each), boneless, skinless
- 4 cups iceberg lettuce, washed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 small tomatoes (about 3 1/2 inches in diameter) or 24 grape tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber (about 8 inches), sliced thinly
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 4 ounces green onions
- 1/4 cup canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 packets Splenda
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 dashes salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
Cut chicken into bite-size cubes and set aside. Place 1 cup torn iceberg lettuce on each of four salad plates. Quarter each tomato and place quarters around each plate, or place 6 grape tomatoes on each plate. Distribute cucumber slices evenly between tomato slices on each plate. Top with grated carrots (1/4 cup per plate) and chicken.
Trim the roots and 2 inches from the tops of the green onions. In a blender or food processor, combine all dressing ingredients and blend thoroughly until well mixed. Pour approximately 1/4 cup dressing over each salad. Top with cilantro if desired.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 1 breast on 1 1/2 cups salad.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 255, Carbohydrates: 12 g, Protein: 18 g, Fat: 15 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 56 mg, Sodium: 411 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
Kathleen Stanley is a Diabetes Educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.