- 1 tablespoon sunflower seed oil or coconut oil
- Pinch of asafoetida or hing
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 8 bitter melons, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind concentrate or fresh tamarind pulp
- 1 tablespoon jaggery or brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 1–2 tablespoons water
- Corn or wheat tortillas
- Salsa of choice (I use mixed mango)
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut, for garnish
Heat oil in a pan. Add a pinch of asafoetida or hing (watch out for the sizzle!), then add the cumin seeds, ginger and garlic. Stir for about 15 seconds.
Add bitter melon slices. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
Add tamarind, jaggery, turmeric, red chili powder, cumin seed powder, mango powder and coriander seedpowder.
Add 1–2 tablespoons of water. Give it a quick stir and allow the bitter melon to cook for about 5 minutes, until slightly tender.
Serve the bitter melon stir fry with tortillas to make tacos. Top with salsa to complement and balance the flavors. Garnish with shredded coconut.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Recipe developed by Sapna Punjabi-Gupta.