- 1 pound frozen round steak, partially thawed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry dill weed
- 1 cube reduced-sodium beef bouillon dissolved in 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 cups lightly steamed small broccoli florets
- 4 cups cooked cholesterol-free egg noodles (about 12 ounces dry)
Remove fat from steak and slice meat across the grain into bite-size pieces. Place 3 tablespoons of flour in a large, zip-top plastic bag. Add meat and shake to coat. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add oil and warm over medium heat. Add meat and brown on both sides. Stir in garlic, mushrooms, and onion; cook for 5 minutes. Add margarine and cook until melted. Stir in 2 tablespoons of flour until liquid forms a paste. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, pepper, dill weed, and bouillon dissolved in water. Continue cooking uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Mix remaining 1 tablespoon of flour into the sour cream, then add to meat mixture. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, but do not boil. Toss in steamed broccoli. Place cooked noodles on a serving dish and top with meat mixture.
Yield: 8 servings.
Serving size: 1/8 of recipe.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 267 calories, Carbohydrates: 32 g, Protein: 19 g, Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Sodium: 190 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 vegetable. Carbohydrate choices: 2 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.