- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups packed coarsely chopped Swiss chard*
- 1 cup canned reduced-sodium navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Italian-seasoned dry bread crumbs
Bring water to a boil in large ovenproof skillet; add bell peppers, barley, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
Stir in chard, beans, tomatoes, basil, and oil. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Broil 2 minutes or until golden.
*Note: Fresh spinach or beet greens can be substituted for Swiss chard.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 1 1/4 cups casserole.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 288 calories, Carbohydrates: 45 g, Protein: 10 g, Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 488 mg, Fiber: 12 g
Exchanges per serving: 3 Bread/Starch, 1 1/2 Fat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.