- 1 small Rome Beauty apple,* peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 small Rome Beauty apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
Place apple slices in medium bowl and toss gently with 1 tablespoon sugar; reserve.
In large bowl sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. In another large bowl cream remaining sugar and butter until smooth. Add vanilla; mix well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, to mixture; mix until smooth. Add chopped apples; mix with spatula to blend.
Spoon flour-spice mixture into apple-sugar-butter-egg mixture; mix well with spatula.
Place reserved apple slices on bottom of prepared baking pan; sprinkle with walnuts. Spoon batter over apples and walnuts; smooth batter with spoon sprayed with nonfat cooking spray. Bake about 30 minutes or until firm in center; remove and cool on wire rack. Insert knife around edges to dislodge cake from pan; quickly turn pan upside down over serving plate. Slice with serrated knife to serve.
*Note: If unavailable, may substitute with Granny Smith apple.
Serving size: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: NA calories
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.