- 1 refrigerated piecrust (such as Pillsbury refrigerated piecrust)
- 4 large baking apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sweetened, dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup Splenda sweetener
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Splenda
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup reduced-calorie stick margarine, cut into smallpieces (do not soften)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Unfold piecrust and press out fold lines. Fit crust into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate according to package directions. Combine apples, cranberries, lemon zest, 1/2 cup Splenda, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger in a large bowl; toss gently to mix well. Add applesauce and toss to coat. Spoon mixture into piecrust, piling up apples (they will shrink down with baking).
In a separate bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup Splenda, light-brown sugar, and margarine. Mix by mashing with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle topping evenly over apple filling and press on to cover pie. Bake 45–50 minutes, or until apples are tender; cover edges of piecrust with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning if necessary. Allow pie to cool at least one hour before serving. This is a thick pie, so it makes a lot of servings.
Yield: 12 servings.
Serving size: 1/12 of pie.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 258 calories, Carbohydrates: 40 g, Protein: 2 g, Fat: 10 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 3 mg, Sodium: 109 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 2 1/2.
Tami Ross is a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.